Recognised by University Grants Commission - Sri Lanka
According to World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), the number of international tourist arrivals worldwide is expected to increase by an average of 3.3% a year over the period 2010 to 2030, equalling 43 million. At the projected rate of growth, international tourist arrivals worldwide are expected to reach 1.4 billion by 2020 and 1.8 billion by the year 2030. The Americas indicate the strongest growth in the Tourism industry followed by Asia, Pacific and the Middle East.
Sri Lanka Tourism
Sri Lanka continues to emerge as one of the world’s best tourist destinations with accolades from various travel guides and travel magazines including Lonely Planet and National Geographic Traveler. Lonely Planet named Sri Lanka as its best tourist destination for year 2019 while National Geographic Traveler featured Sri Lanka in its UK edition highlighting 21 must-see places. Sri Lanka also topped the best 13 locations selected by British Airways. With the anticipated increase in inbound tourists; the travel, tourism and hospitality sectors will experience an exponential growth and a major demand for human resources at all levels. Some of the biggest international hotels including Shangri-La Colombo, Hyatt Regency, Movenpick, Sheraton, Marino Sands Hotel, ITC Hotel, Cinnamon Life and Suncity Business Hotels are already in Sri Lanka. This expansion in the global and local tourism industry will provide thousands of employment and migration opportunities for qualified Tourism and Hospitality management professionals.
Many top jobs in travel and tourism come from global brands and international chains. Unlike in the past, these employers demand academic and professional qualifications. Therefor having a relevant degree from a globally recognised university is a prerequisite to be employed with international brands.
There are many different kind of degree awarding institutions in Sri Lanka today. Amongst these are unscrupulous institutions which award bogus or fake degrees or claim dubious ranking. A Google search could provide many insights into degree ‘mills’ which offer low cost Degree certificates & transcripts.
When embarking on any Degree, a prospective student must establish without a doubt the credentials of the awarding institution and its academic reputation. The esteem & admiration, recognition & respect for a qualification are derived from the awarding institution. The subject coverage, duration of study and depth in learning content are ingredients that make a difference between a respected degree and an ordinary one.
A Bachelor’s Degree course of studies take a minimum of 3 years. International Travel and Tourism degree content covers managing tourism destinations, tourism marketing, tour operations, special interest tourism, sustainable tourism and innovation in tourism amongst other tourism related learning. This learning will enable a young person to gain employment in organisations connected to airlines, airports, inbound and outbound tour operators, hospitality and entertainment.
Whilst the entire Degree programme will take 36 months, students are required to successfully complete 16 modules during the first 2 years. On completion of this segment, students will be awarded Pearson Assured International Diploma in Management for Travel and Tourism and thereafter progress to the Final Year for the award of the Bachelor’s Degree (BA – Honours) in International Tourism Management t from University of Northampton.
The University of Northampton - UK
The BA(Hons) International Tourism Management Degree is awarded by University of Northampton – UK which is recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) Sri Lanka.
The University of Northampton has been awarded Gold – the highest possible mark – in the UK Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) awarded the Gold Mark for Teaching Excellence to the University of Northampton. This is the highest possible mark and reflects the academic excellence and outstanding teaching quality at Northampton. The Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) is the official Ranking scheme developed by the Department for Education in England for recognising teaching and academic standards. Only 42 institutions of higher education out of 140 in UK received the Gold Mark which is valid for 3 years. Northampton is a globally respected and recognised institution of higher learning which has received many awards and honors in recent times. Between 2011 - 16, was shortlisted for ‘Business School of the Year’, top 50 UK University, Most Enterprising University, Most Entrepreneurial University, No. 1 for Student Employability, No. 1 for Research Management, No. 1 for Value Added and No. 1 for Social Enterprise Changemaker Campus status by AshokaU, the world’s largest network of social entrepreneurs.
The official judgement by the Government’s review states:
“Based on the evidence available, the TEF Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students.”
“It is of the highest quality found in the UK.”
More information : Click: visit UON Website
WHAT IS SPECIAL AT HRMI?
At HRMI, we are committed to supporting students in their academic and professional progression, career advancement, personality and character development. We work closely with a large network of reputed Sri Lankan private sector organizations to enable our students to acquire practical experience through a well-designed programme of internship training. We thereafter assist our students to be professionally employed.
- For each and every student, HRMI offers a dedicated personal tutor to sort out any academic related concerns and provide assignment guidance to make sure that the students are able to independently fulfil the requirements of the course of studies.
- Lecturers are specifically trained to deliver assignment focused teaching
- For every module, Industry experts provide practical management knowhow demanded in assignments. This input is very critical as students lack work experience to answer highly work related assignments.
- HRMI provides guaranteed internships to enable non-working students to experience real-life issues which are useful in doing assignments which involve very practical management scenarios.
- Teaching quality, academic integrity, learning content, assessment criteria and adherence to compliance standards are critical drivers of academic excellence. HRMI has been repeatedly winning the Pearson Award for Academic Excellence in the years 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
MODULES OF STUDY:
Year 1 & 2
- The Travel and Tourism Sector
- Tourist Destinations
- Communication Skills
- People in Organisations
- Applying Promotional Techniques
- Marketing Principles and Practice
- Tour Operations Management
- Finance and Funding in the Travel and Tourism Sector
- Special Interest Tourism
- Customer Relationship Management
- Travel and Tourism Organisations in a Global Context
- Research Project
- Managing Communication
- People Management
- Resort Management
- Sustainable Tourism Development
Year 3 :
- Research Project
- Professional Consultancy Project
- Innovation in Tourism & Hospitality Management
- International Destination Management for Tourism & Hospitality
- Mega Events
- Leading Service Quality in Hospitality
On completion of year 3, students will be awarded BA (Hons) - International Tourism Management by University of Northampton, UK
Assessment Criteria : Exams, Assignments & Presentations
Entry Qualifications :
• GCE (A/L) 2 passes from any stream (or Pending A/L Results) - with English and Mathematics at O/L OR
• Certificate course in Travel, Tourism, Hospitality OR equivalent from a recognised institution
• GCE (O/L) with English and Mathematics and 2 years work experience in Hospitality and Tourism
Candidates with over 5 years experience in travel , tourism or hospitality OR industry related recognised qualifications may be considered for advanced entry. for more information please cal l 077 2204101 / 071 2 724425 to determine point of entry
Lecture Schedule :
Sunday from 8.45 am to 4.30 pm
INTERNSHIP TRAINING PROVIDED FOR NON-WORKING STUDENTS
DURATION & PAYMENT PLAN :
HRMI Registration Fee: Rs. 12,500
E Library Fee: Rs. 5,000
Part-time Intensive Course:
: 30 Months
Monthly Course Fee
Quarterly Assessment Fee
: Rs. 15,000 (30 Instalments) +
: Rs. 30,000 (10 Instalments)
: Rs. 750,000
(All above charges are subject to 2% NBT)
COMMENCEMENT : Sunday, 26th May 2019
SCHEDULE : Sundays 8.45 am to 4.30 pm
INFORMATION : Please call 077 2204101 or 071 2724425